In the past 3 years there were:
- no unauthorised imports of TEL or fuel containing TEL
- no unauthorised exports of TEL or fuel containing TEL
- high levels of compliance with corresponding shipment reporting and record-keeping obligations
What is TEL used for?
TEL is mostly used as an additive in aviation gasoline (avgas) for piston-engine aircraft. It is listed on Annex III of the Rotterdam Convention.
Laws on importing and exporting TEL
If you’re planning to import or export TEL, you must comply with industrial chemicals laws and Rotterdam Convention obligations. To be compliant you must:
- make an application to NICNAS and pay a fee before you import or export TEL (unless you’re exempt under industrial chemicals regulations)
- label your products appropriately
- have the right safety documentation
- report your ship of TEL and products containing TEL to NICNAS within 2 days of each import and export
TEL importers and exporters are regularly audited and shipments of TEL are monitored weekly.
CONTINUE READING ON www.nicnas.gov.au