Candidate list of Substances of Very HIgh Concern: nine (groups of) substances added
The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) has added nine hazardous chemicals to the Candidate List of substances of very high concern (SVHC):
- Perfluoroheptanoic acid and its salts (Sodium perfluoroheptanoate, potassium perfluoroheptanoate, Ammonium perfluoroheptanoate, Perfluoroheptanoic)
- Isobutyl 4-hydroxybenzoate
- Bis(2-ethylhexyl) tetrabromophthalate
- Barium diboron tetraoxide
- reaction mass of 2,2,3,3,5,5,6,6-octafluoro-4-(1,1,1,2,3,3,3-heptafluoropropan-2-yl)morpholine and 2,2,3,3,5,5,6,6-octafluoro-4-(heptafluoropropyl)morpholine
The new additions bring the total number of entries on the list to 233.
The chemicals added to the list are used in a variety of products, such as flame retardants, paints and coatings, inks and toners, coating products, plasticisers and in the manufacture of pulp and paper.
Under REACH regulations, companies are legally required to fulfill certain obligations when substances they use are included in the Candidate List, whether on their own, in mixtures, or in articles. These obligations include providing customers and consumers with information on the safe use of products containing these substances, notifying ECHA of the use of these substances in articles, and supplying safety data sheets for substances on the list.
Additionally, under the Waste Framework Directive, companies must also notify ECHA if articles they produce contain these substances at concentrations above 0.1%, and this information will be published in ECHA's database of substances of concern in products (SCIP).
Link to Candidate List of Substances of Very High Concern