Rio Tinto blames 'misunderstanding' for destruction of 46,000-year-old Aboriginal site


Your substances

None

This news contains references also to other Substances


The head of Rio Tinto’s iron ore division said he has “taken accountability” for the destruction of a 46,000-year-old Aboriginal heritage site but refused to give a direct answer when asked if the company knew traditional owners did not want the rock shelter destroyed, saying: “clearly, there was a misunderstanding”.

In an interview on Radio National on Friday, the chief executive of Rio Tinto iron ore, Chris Salisbury, said it it had “taken accountability” for the destruction of the site, which was one of two destroyed in a blast to expand the Brockman 4 iron ore mine last month. 

CONTINUE READING ON www.theguardian.com

                   

Related News

Loading...