10 new innovations that will shape a more sustainable future
From alternative energy sources to immersive artificial experiences designed to change behaviour, sustainable innovations aim to drastically reduce the effects of human life on planet Earth.
Renewable energy use needs to increase six times to
achieve sustainability goals laid down by the 2015 Paris Agreement on
climate change. Rapidly improving energy efficiency will contribute a
percentage of the progress required.
importance of new technology and innovation has never been greater to
limit the average global temperature rise to below 2°C
from pre-industrial levels. Mubadala’s development company Masdar is
central to many new developments and innovations in the UAE.
It has commissioned a report on the top 10 sustainable innovations likely to make the greatest impact over the next five years.
1. Biomass converted into coal substitutes
2. Briquettes made with biomass
3. Virtual reality that inspires behavioural change
4. City water fountains that save water and plastic
5. Environmentally friendly water-based paints
6. Shared electricity using blockchain
7. Sustainable computer centres powered by green energy
8. Peer-to-peer energy sharing
9. Using waste heat from industry as a power source
10. Using vegetable oil and antimicrobials to produce power
CONTINUE READING ON www.thenational.ae