ECHA: "Here’s what you need to know before Brexit"

The United Kingdom is withdrawing from the European Union at the end of March 2019. This decision has consequences not only for everyone in the UK, including those working in the chemical industry, but also for companies in the remaining EU Member States and EEA countries doing business with the UK. We walk you through the most important issues so you can be prepared.

The EU and the UK have announced a draft Withdrawal Agreement.

If the agreement is ratified, it may contain a transition arrangement, which would give companies a longer period to adapt to the consequences of Brexit.

However, based on the information currently available, we are providing advice to help companies prepare for the UK’s withdrawal taking full effect on 30 March 2019. How the withdrawal affects you depends on the role your business plays in the supply chain. If your UK-based business is connected to one of the remaining 27 EU Member States (the EU-27) or one of the three EEA countries, you will face some changes.

But it’s not only UK companies that need to pay attention – companies in the EU-27 and EEA doing business with UK companies will also see things change.

The following examples highlight some of the changes, and you can find more explanations and support from our updated web section on the UK’s withdrawal.

Registrations will cease to exist - If your company is based in the UK and you have registered a substance under REACH, your registration with ECHA will no longer exist after the withdrawal. 

If you are a manufacturer, and you plan to continue doing business in the EU, you can appoint an only representative to manage your registrations. You should make sure that the only representative is knowledgeable and experienced enough to handle the information related to your substances, and that they are located within the EU-27.

If you are a UK-based importer, the non-EU manufacturer or formulator can appoint an only representative, located in the EU-27. Another option is to move the part of your business related to the registered substance to a legal entity within the EU-27. Remember though, that responsible staff will need to be physically present at the EU-based address – setting up a company in the EU-27 on paper only will not do.



Related News